Science and Technology
XCTIT (xarxa de ciència, tècnica i tecnologia: Science, technique and technology network) aims to recover and unify three fields that capitalism has separated in order to destroy production methods: Science, so that it doesn’t remain only within the confines of larger universities and corporations, but also in the streets and in our everyday practices; Technical knowledge, which belongs to workers and artisans and which today is being lost along with many of these crafts; and Technology, which we can access through the Information Society.
- We develop, or reappropriate Appropriate Technology taking the user, the context, the choice of the most suitable materials, and sustainability all into account.
- We seek the help of the most basic technology to implement systems adapted to our needs and to what we can buy on the market.
- We want technology to help us, not dehumanize us.
- We work in our self-managed collective and open workshops developing tools in collaboration with users and professionals.
- We recover a direct connection between the makers of tools and their users.
- We apply novel as well as tried and tested processes.
- We research and develop sustainable and efficient new prototypes for objects.
- We fight against planned obsolescence and we readapt traditional machinery.
- We re-skill traditional crafts.
- We support ourselves economically with our products.
- We work on Forest Management, caring for forests and taking advantage of the resources that it provides us with in a sustainable way.
- We train people in Forestry: Taking care of the forests.
- We are a multidisciplinary team, we provide consultancy, outreach and dissemination, harnessing the internet for our work. We start on a productive research slope, with CAD/CAM design and prototypes, leaving from each object produced a percentage for the common good.
- We need funding and we need many more people.